Click here to hear Founder and Artistic Director Emeritus Brighid O’Shaughnessy and cast members Len Bajenski and Heather Bodie talk about Veterans’ Voices on WBEZ’s “The Morning Shift.”
The production of Veterans Voices focuses on the mental health issues facing active military, veterans, and their families.
We explore five real-life stories collected by members of the Erasing the Distance artistic team in partnership with The Chicago School of Professional Psychology.
Every performance is followed by a moderated, interactive talkback to process the shows themes, and is an excellent program for relevant communities.
We have also worked closely with clinical partners to develop a mental health pocket guide for every audience member.
These wallet-sized tools are full of Chicagoland mental health support services and resources for the benefit of audience members and, by extension, their family and friends who may also be touched by these issues.The show is designed for veterans and civilians alike.Our strength is starting honest conversation around topics that can be difficult to discuss.
HOW DOES VETERANS VOICES IMPACT ATTENDEES?
An independent report found that the show stimulated the following in our audience members:
- Significant changes in audience members’ feelings toward Veterans/Military Personnel with mental health issues, including increased feelings of hope, compassion, admiration, empathy, pride, and decreased feelings of pity and indifference
- Increased willingness to ask for help in seeking treatment if struggling with a mental health issue
- Significant increase in ability to identify different barriers to receiving treatment for mental health issues in the Veterans/Military Personnel community
- Increase in ability to identify symptoms of PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Increase in ability to name resources that serve Veterans/Military Personnel who struggle with mental health issues
We are currently booking touring performances of Veterans Voices for the weeks in 2017 surrounding Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day.
Every performance is followed by a moderated, interactive talkback to process the shows themes, and is an excellent program.
Interested in Veterans Voices? We would like to partner with you to create a powerful event in your community.
To start the conversation or for more information about booking and fees, contact Custom Programs Manager Jana Ross: firstname.lastname@example.org.